Saturday 5 April 2008

The Mouse Ran Up the Clock

A wander into previous blog entries has lead to a reconsideration of blog utility on my part. I wonder if I should use this in an almost diary-like format, and connecting and pulling together random ideas and thoughts into a believable manner. Believable perhaps because I'm only applying my pointless subjective ideology onto the page in an illegible format; you might believe you know what I'm talking about, but I'll bet you don't.

London is hailing today. Yesterday was almost summer, today is almost winter. So it goes.

Time

More thoughts about time, as everyone seems to have some understanding of time but no-one seems quite able to define it. I keep thinking of ideas and concepts, my favourite being that time is made of little monsters (time-beings) which are infinitely small. You look closely at one being, and you realise it's actually two, infinitely. The time-beings get larger in accordance to the relative amount of time passed. They are also the cause of the phrase 'for the time being'.

Instantaneous/Continuous
Have also been comparing Zeno of Elea to Heraclitus. (Zeno's paradoxes seem to suggest the problem of the Uncertainty Principle in quantum physics.) What I find interesting is the idea he suggests about the arrow. In essence, Zeno's Arrow paradox is simple, and in terms of time the idea is that motion is mere illusionary, and in actually nothing really changes or moves; we only see time passing. Heraclitus argues the opposite (Panta rhei): that stationary time is merely illusionary as things are constantly in a state of flux between two binary opposites.

What I am beginning to notice is that time is interlinked entirely with change. The only physical apparition of time that we have is through change. We have clocks and other methods of time measurement, but our subjective understanding of time (such as efficiency) seems to be seen through time:
Time is measured through the movement of a clock, through the movement of daylight, through our own actions.

To transcend time is to know all.

No comments:

Post a Comment