Monday 12 March 2012

On Thursday Night...

It takes a lot of strength for me to write this. But it's much easier than explaining it to someone face-to-face, because then I don't feel as if I am burdening you with my problems. I do not feel as if I am opening up to you, pouring out my deepest darkest fears, while your thoughts remain caged in, walled behind your own personal barriers. Somehow, this is a safe space - the twilight zone in which neither you nor I can truly exist. But I need to tell this tale - if not for me, for the others who suffer similarly. Fellow depressives, you are not alone.

On Thursday night, I was standing on the platform at Finchley Road tube station, peering over the edge of the platform. I stood near the end, where the train would enter the platform at speed. It seemed so easy to just let go, to take a simple step forward and just jump. Death seemed like life - the only difference being that I would no longer have to bear the pain of the latter. But something did stop me. I believe it was thinking of the poor people who would have to clear up my remains, but honestly, it could have been anything. What I was aware of, however, was that I could not simply carry on.

For the last few weeks, perhaps since the beginning of February, I have seen myself slowly slip away from friends and family. Somehow being the constant event planner was becoming exhausting. And my empty Friday nights and weekends became more frequent. It seems as though everyone is always busy - relationships hogged everyone else's weekends, and spare week nights were by now filled quickly with exhausting work commitments. I started to distance myself from reality, escaping the way I usually do, through: comfort reading Ursula K Le Guin and other authors; watching a load of geeky films; and ultimately, using any opportunity to grasp onto any form of the non-real. I knew I was experiencing a low, but for some reason I was certain it wasn't too bad.

I don't know whether it was my action of not contacting friends, or if it was the lack of contact from friends and family that triggered off my current depressive cycle. Whatever the case, I was disconnected from the network. And I began to feel very very alone. Like someone living in plastic bubble, utterly incapable of feeling anything other than the pain of alienation. And this terrifies me.

My anxieties spread further. I could see the campaigning flaws of the 1960s showing up again in the current activist circles. We have the same arguments, the same flawed tactics, and all in all, everything is still run by a bunch of middle-class white boys who see themselves intellectually liberated from the 'common' person (while also claiming to represent them). I saw the focus of our campaigns moving away from caring about social justice towards intergenerational victimhood. Instead of showing off our strength we were now employing self-pity as our primary campaign tool.

I now wonder if we can change anything at all. If we never learn from our mistakes, will we ever be more just? Can society ever be more than a bunch of baboons trying to vie for power as it were the only banana in the world? And if the world can never change, what would my role be? Where would my purpose lie? The emptiness of everything is overbearing. The pain of nothingness unbearable.

And then there was work. Once again, I feel like I'm failing. Like I can barely hold everything together. And for about a month, I can feel my workplace become more and more tense. Yes, I was more stressed - but I don't do stress when it comes to me fulfilling my responsibilities. But the pressure was external, and for the sake of employment, I will not go into further details. But I did feel like I was failing at everything. And so went away the final straws of my self-esteem.

For me, there are few things I want from life: adventure, warmth/love (stability?) and meaning. And on Thursday night, all of those things seemed impossible. I was exhausted and feeling like a failure. I felt friendless and alone. And the world had lost meaning. Nothing was left - and me and nothing don't work well together.

I know what Nothing is because I can feel it. It's not just hopelessness, it is a physical illness. I feel deep in sorrow, and even laughing can't help me escape it. I am easily angered. I am exhausted. I cannot concentrate properly. I cry easily. And I feel like I could scream, vomit and tear all my hair out all at the same time.

I don't want to be alone with Nothing again. I need help, but the psychiatrist I turned to is more interested in bankrupting me than helping me out. Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) failed me miserably. And I don't know who to turn to for professional advice.

I want to be able to love again. I want to be wanting to hug everyone again. I want to cry and make it all disappear. I just want to be happy. Is that too much to ask?

5 comments:

  1. Nishma, it was lovely to see you today. If you're alone, you just need to ring and say hi. You don't need to pretend you're OK - I'm not a depressive, but I hate being on my own, I get lonely immediately. It's OK to just pick up the phone and say you're miserable.

    Also, this is really beautifully written, which makes it all the more heart wrenching.

    Hugs,

    Adam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, it's annoying that I can't be in London for a while and meet up. But come here anytime for a change of scenery, you're always welcome.
    I don't now if this helps at all but...there are people in London who love you, they understand, and they want to spend time with you.

    I'll try to get us both on phone at the same time again soon :)

    Sam x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I knew what to say, Nishma. I wish I knew you better, that I could do more than just write some terrible mess of words over the internet.

    We may have really only had brief encounters in person, but throughout the time since I first learned of your existence you have shown yourself to be such a wonderful, caring, brilliant person. You have such an impact on people, even those who barely know you like myself.

    You really truly matter, Nishma, and everyone's lives are better for having you in it.

    I really hope one day you will find happiness, and that it shall stay with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey lovely,

    You never have to explain, but when you do, please know that it's not a burden, and it is useful to other people, as you say.

    I'm so sorry that I can't be close to you. But I am thinking of you a lot. I am so glad to have you in my life, and I know so many others are too.

    And I never mind if you want to send me an angry, ranty email, or pick up the phone or skype just to cry. If I can do anything, I will.

    Love jx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey,

    So, it's taken me a while to respond to this, mainly because I've been thinking about it, and what response there is to give. I think I've got two things to say, but both make me feel quite exposed. So, I'm posting them drunk, which maybe isn't ideal, but will Just Have To Do.

    1) I've had depersonalization disorder for 10 years. It has started to get better over the last 2. I've admired the way you talk about depression openly, but still find it very hard to do the same. I know what Nothing is like, and that there aren't really any words that anyone can say that help you face it. When you're standing right next to it the only choice is to stare it in the face or keep running, and both are immeasurably harder than anything else I've ever had to do. But I did find that it helped, in the in-between times, to know that other people had got past it. So - it's get past-able. I think I'm getting there myself. Not completely there yet, but progress has been made. And it's talking about the real shit, endlessly, drunkenly, with friends, that has got me part way there, which brings me to,

    2) All the problems you talk about are objectively real. We live in fucked-up world, and then some. It's not a surprise that nice people like you have trouble with it. I find it nearly impossible to deal with the privilege of even just the people 'on our side', and I'm white. I do from time to time seriously wonder if I could cope with having racism to deal with, on top of sexism and everything else. I can't imagine it, but I guess I'd have to, if I had to, and I'd be a different person for it. You have had to, and it has made you a devastatingly intelligent person with a really honed instinct for what's right, and a very subtle, challenging analysis, but maybe it's also made you alienated, because although we all nod and agree, and in some cases read loads of blogs by black people and feel all proudly smugly anti-racist, we can still choose to click the off-switch on that one, in a way you can't. I know what not having an off-switch for sexism is like, so I have a glimpse of what it must be like, but it is only a glimpse, I have a far more spacious comfort-bubble to retreat to than you.

    So, I don't know, maybe I'm just blathering a bit now. But as someone who is in some ways part of your problem, I wanted to acknowledge that. I've decided to take more action against the oppressions that don't directly affect me, not just to read blogs.. and it's already proving slightly uncomfortable, and I guess that's the point. Please continue to share your perspective, on thetopsoil and in real life, and to know its worth, it's certainly had more of an impact on me than the "bunch of middle-class white boys" have.

    Love and respect,

    Beth

    ReplyDelete