Thursday 5 June 2008

Give a little Green Glow

The subject of carbon emissions should not be too far away on World Environment Day. To stand up against Climate Change is essential, but how?


Cutting carbon emissions individually is not actually that hard: reduction of heating/air-conditioning, buying produce grown in England (or growing your own food), changing your lightbulbs to energy efficient ones, placing solar panels for heating up your water (in Australia), etc. However, the difficulty lies in breaking a habit, and mine happens to be flying.

Flying to Australia once a year is an awful, awful thing to do and must be stopped. A habit, however, that has always existed in my multinational extended family; the issue of not flying becomes a slight problem when your parents live on the other side of the world. The issue then is only what can be done. The problem being that if I don't fly to visit family, they will fly and visit me: 3 versus 1?

I think the best step now, for me, is to reduce my flying plans to one set of flights a year. That way there is a severe reduction in flying time and a way of keeping my extended family happy.

So: Fly if you have not seen the world. Fly less if you have.

No comments:

Post a Comment